6 Things You Need To Know About Gangnam Style
Gangnam Style is the pop cultural phenomenon that’s taking the internet by storm!
With already over 102 million viewsof the video and climbing by the millions each day! If you’re not one of the 102 million who’ve watched the clip…check it out now!
- Gangnam Style refers to the lavish and luxurious lifestyle connected to the trendy Gangnam district (akin to Beverly Hills) located in Seoul.
- The likes of Britney Spears, Robbie Williams, TPain, Nelly Furtado and Katy Perry have publicly declared their love for the song.
- The famous horse dance that features throughout the clip refers to a Korean saying a rough translation of “let’s ride a horse” which means “let’s have a drink and have some fun”.
- PSY, the song’s performer, is a 34 year-old Korean singer who writes his own songs (this is from his 6th album) and who also choreographed the Gangnam Style video clip.
- PSY is short for pyscho. His real name is Jae-Sang Park.
- The video features guest appearances by a number of Korean pop and TV stars: the girl in the subway is Hyuna from girl band 4Minute. The guy in the yellow suit dancing off against PSY is a comedian, as is the pelvis-thrusting guy who appears in the lift. The little kid at the start of the clip doing Michael Jackson moves was a crowd favourite on Korea’s Got Talent.
Now that you know the basics, why not learn the dance and master the english translation?
And finally, check out PSY dancing to Lady Gaga's 'Poker Face' and Beyonce's 'Single Ladies'.