Sorrow Stay: Dowland's Melancholic AirsRosemary Hodgson & Justin
- Label: ABC Classics
- Release Date:
- UPC: 00028947649984
- Cat #: 4764998
Time stands still in this album of delicate, intricate beauty from Tenor Justin Burwood and lute virtuoso Rosemary Hodgson.
Sorrow Stay brings together the most lachrymose of Dowland’s songs, not intended to make the listener sad, but rather to soothe, calm and ravish the listener unlike any other music known. From Sweet Stay a While to Flow My Tears and In Darkness Let Me Dwell, we find all of life and all of our humanity – love, pain, drama, passion and release – assembled not only for those who lived during the Renaissance, but still relevant to our emotions today.
As Downland so perfectly states: ‘And though the title doth promise tears..., yet no doubt pleasant are the tears which music weeps, neither are tears shed always in sorrow but sometimes in joy and gladness.’
Born in Melbourne, Australia, Rosemary Hodgson has lived and worked abroad, performing in Britain, Portugal, Sweden, Germany and Venezuela. A graduate of Melbourne University, where she studied with professor John Griffiths, in 2000 Rosemary completed her postgraduate studies at the Royal College of Music, London with Jakob Lindberg and since her return to Australia has forged a path as free-lance continuo player and soloist. Her solo debut cd rosa was released in March 2004. She has appeared frequently on ABC television and radio, Channel Seven and 3MBS.
Rosemary performs regularly with Duo Seria, Rosa Mundi and La Compania and is featured on the 2007 releases of El Fuego on ABC Classics and Rosa Mundi (Maiseyday Music). In December 2008, her solo recording Forlorn Hope Fancy was released on the ABC Classics label and has been internationally acclaimed.
“The lute world has a new star” - Lute News (August 2009)
After initial vocal training and choral experiences with the Chor Leoni Men’s Choir and the Christ Church Cathedral Choir in Vancouver, Justin Burwood left his native Canada in 2001. Since then, his love of languages, music and travel has taken him around the globe. Justin studied early music interpretation with Max van Egmond and Howard Crook and contributed to a recording of Dutch madrigals while living in the Netherlands; worked at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Stockholm and sang with men’s choir Orphei Drängar while living in Sweden; and most recently sang with the men’s vocal consort Cappella Sanctae Catharinae and gave highly acclaimed solo performances of German and French art song cycles while living on the Mediterranean island of Malta. During the time he spent living in Australia, Justin sang both as soloist and ensemble member with the Australian Brandenburg Orchestra’s Brandenburg Choir in Sydney and with vocal ensemble e21 in Melbourne.
You only pay delivery once for your whole order, not for each item.
- To guarantee delivery it is best to send your parcel to your office or somewhere where there will be someone to receive it between 9am - 5pm. If there is no one at the delivery address your order will be sent to the nearest post office where you will need to sign to pick it up.
- We must have correct and complete addresses, including a company name where necessary, and at least one contact telephone number.
- We use Australian Air Express for Australian deliveries.
- We use Fedex for International deliveries.
Sorrow Stay: Dowland's Melancholic Airs - Track Listing
- 01. Sorrow Stay
- 02. Lady if you so spite me
- 03. Go crystal tears
- 04. I saw my lady weep
- 05. Shall I strive with words to move
- 06. Sweet stay a while
- 07. Flow my tears
- 08. Semper Dowland semper dolens
- 09. Flow not so fast ye fountains
- 10. Dear, if you change
- 11. The Frog Galliard
- 12. Time stands still
- 13. All ye whom love or fortune hath betrayed
- 14. Come ye heavy states of night
- 15. In darkness let me dwell
- 16. Lachrimae
- 17. Weep you no more sad fountains